Thursday, December 6, 2007

When I Grow Up....

So what do you do when you what you think you wanted loses its appeal?

I've spent years thinking that what I wanted to do was come to Nashville and run this town. Over the past year priorities have shifted, circumstances have changed, and I now feel like I'm back at square one: What do I want to be when I grow up? Do I really want to claw, scratch and fight my way to the top of an industry that could bottom out in a week's time? Do I love it that much? I don't have an answer to that question anymore.

I took a test when I was in 8th grade - one of those career builder things or something, and it was supposed to tell you what you should be when you grew up.

I was a log roller. Probably a step up from packing up and deciding to be a music big wig.

What shapes our career decisions? I suppose some of it is circumstance... but working in music was a no-brainer for me. It's a passion - I don't know that I'd ever love anything else as much as the music industry. That's one of those things at the top of the list - "things parents never want their children to grow up to be". Maybe we think too much about what other people want us to be, and not about what God wants us to be.

It's strange to feel so unsure of myself - my career path has seemed pretty straight forward to me since I graduated high school. I suppose this is where God reminds me that I don't always know what's best for me, and that sometimes I just need to do what I do and trust him. He'll bring it together.

No comments: