Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Crossroads? ,

So I spend an inordinate amount of time planning my future.  My mom yells at me for this, because I'm sure it's exhausting.  I have tossed around cities and jobs and general life plans endlessly, praying and thinking and trying to get the next chapter of my life mapped out.
So far, I've looked at NYC, Chicago, Nashville, Raleigh, and Austin as potential destinations. 

Yes, I have even looked into Australia.  (Which is not entirely out of the running, depending on the results of the election in November...)

I've come to the following conclusions:

Chicago: Entirely too cold.  I don't do winter very well. I am not entirely sure I can grasp the concept that people actually function in single digit winter.  I would probably not work from November to April.  Snow on the ground is clearly God giving me permission to stay in bed. 

New York: Falls under the entirely too cold for a southerner category as well.  Not to mention the fact that I would die in the city.  I like to drive and play outside too much.  But B is there. And the job market is better.  

Austin: I know I'd do well in Austin. I'd love it. It's warm, dry, and full of cowboys and live music.  The issue? Proximity to ANYTHING I am familiar with.  Which may not be altogether a bad thing.

Nashville: Still not completely out of the running.  I'm pretty established here.  I have great friends.  It's a good place to live.  Well, at least Williamson County is.  But the job market here is pretty unfortunate, and I just don't think I can play this game forever.

Australia: Aussies are crazy. Although, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of being a beach bum.  And I might pick up a sweet accent.

Let's face it... I'm going to end up back in NC.  So what the heck does that mean?  What will I do there?  Because once I get my $90,000 piece of paper I will not be waiting tables or changing diapers for strangers. The short story is that I have absolutely no idea what I'll do.  Honestly, I'm not the best at making life plans.  I change my mind daily.  I'm emotional about it, I sometimes let my forthcoming freedom and my curiosity get the best of me.  I get so excited about what I CAN do, and want to do ALL OF IT.  RIGHT NOW.

Basically I try to do God's job, without asking him what His plans are.  

A good friend of mine pointed out tonight that every time I go home, there is something different that seems to pull me back in that direction.  A different opportunity, a different relationship - something new every trip. She's right.  This pull I feel toward home isn't an accident.  

I've got to go where I'm being led.

No comments: